The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Short Essay Questions
1-19 for the first test
1. Describe Wellington's condition in Chapter 2.
2. Why was it necessary for Siobhan to draw pictures of different emotions for the narrator to study?
3. According to the narrator, what is a murder mystery? Why does he decide to write a murder mystery?
4. Describe the series of events that led to Christopher's arrest.
5. How does the narrator view cardinal number and prime numbers?
6. Describe Christopher's adventures at the police headquarters.
7. Describe Christopher's father.
8. What does Christopher tell Mr. Jeavons about Terry? And why is it significant that he reveals his conversation with Terry?
9. How does Mrs. Shears behavior differ in Chapter 53 from her behavior the night that Wellington was killed (Chapter 5)?
10. Does Christopher believe in heaven? Why or Why not? Whose opinion about heaven does he seek and what do they tell him?
11. How does Christopher explain Mr. and Mrs. Shears' relationship?
12. How is Christopher supposed to refer to the students at his school, and why is Christopher not supposed to refer to the children at his school as "stupid"?
13. How did Christopher's "behavioral problems" impact the relationship between his parents?
14. Why is Father upset with Christopher in Chapter 79?
15. Why does Christopher say he would make a good astronaut?
16. How does Christopher respond to seeing four yellow cars on his way to school?
17. What does Mrs. Anderson reveal to Christopher about his mother in Chapter 97?
18. What is the point of Chapter 101?
19. Describe Rhodri.
20-40 for the second test
20. How is the novel that the narrator is writing similar to that of the Sherlock Holmes novel Hounds of the Baskervilles? How is it different?
21. How does Christopher alert Siobhan that he knows about his Mother and Mr. Shears? And what advice does she give him about the new information that he has?
22. How is Christopher's memory like a video player? And how is it different?
23. How does Christopher compare his father's and mother's anger towards him?
24. What are three reasons why Christopher does not like brown or yellow?
25. Describe Christopher and Father's Saturday outing in Chapter 137.
26. Describe The Case of the Cottingley Fairies.
27. What groundbreaking information does Christopher find out in the Chapter 149, and how does he learn this information?
28. What information does Christopher learn in the first letter from his mother that he reads?
29. Why does Christopher not believe in the supernatural? Give one example of supernatural mysteries that he does not believe in.
30. What example does Christopher give of a mystery that is not a mystery? How is this mystery not a mystery? What technique does he use to diminish the mystery?
31. What happens to Christopher during the six days he waits to look at the letters?
32. Mother gives Christopher more insight into her relationship with Mr. Shears. How does her relationship with Mr. Shears develop?
33. Describe the "How the Mind Works" experiment.
34. According to the narrator, why are people different than animals? What example does Christopher give?
35. Why does Father kill Wellington?
36. Why does Christopher feel he cannot trust his father? How does he react towards Father after he confesses to Wellington's death?
37. Why does Christopher say that it is silly to name constellations for their shapes? What are two examples he gives for his reasoning?
38. Why is Chapter 173 symbolic?
39. How does Christopher determine where he will go live now that he has learned that father killed Wellington? Why does he make the decision to go to London?
40. Why does Christopher go to Mrs. Alexander's house? What does he tell her? Why does Christopher leave her house in a hurry?
41-60 for the third test
41. What is the purpose of Chapter 181? Why does the author feel the need to include Chapter 181 in the novel?
42. How does Christopher illustrate that he "sees everything"?
43. What is significant about Christopher's behavior in Chapter 191?
44. What strategy does Christopher use to cope with his new surroundings and large amounts of people at the train station?
45. Why does Christopher like timetables? When did he make timetables? What example of a timetable does he give the reader?
46. According to Christopher, what is time? What is not time?
47. How has the train ride proved to be a great growth experience for Christopher?
48. Compare Christopher's early experience with the toilet at school (Chapter 157) and his experience on the toilet on the train (Chapter 197).
49. What is the purpose of Chapter 199?
50. Why does Christopher say people believe in God? How does he view people that believe in God? What are Christopher's beliefs?
51. How does Christopher escape the police officer in Chapter 211?
52. Compare Christopher's behavior in the train station in Swindon to his behavior when he first goes down into the subway tunnel.
53. How does Christopher explain the meaning of adverts, and what example of an advert does he give?
54. Why would Christopher not take a vacation?
55. How does Christopher behave while in the subway tunnel?
56. What happened to Toby in Chapter 227? How does the narrator save Toby?
57. What is the significance of Christopher's dream in Chapter 229?
58. Describe Christopher's favorite dream.
59. What series of events causes Christopher and his mother to head back to Swindon?
60. Describe Christopher's feelings towards his father and how he deals with his feelings in Chapter 233?